Glossary of Terms and Documents for Studying in Germany

Glossary of Terms and Documents for Studying in Germany

From A-Z terms relating to studying in Germany as a foreigner explained.


The German “Abitur” is the highest German school leaving certificate taken after having passed the secondary school final exam, following the completion of 12/13 schooling years in a German school in Germany or abroad.

Abitur is commonly referred as a German university-entrance qualification “Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB)”, as it gives you access to higher education studies in Germany.

With an Abitur you can take up higher education studies at almost any world country, as this certificate is equivalent to national school-leaving diplomas of many foreign states.

To study for a “Numerus Clausus” course in Germany, as study places are reserved only for a limited number of students, a good Abitur average is a mandatory requirement for admission.

See also What If I Am a Foreigner Who Doesn’t Have an Abitur?


“Abstract” it’s a document of international academic standards where you introduce in short your thesis question and the methods applied. This document is required when you’ve yet haven’t received a Bachelor Degree or haven’t yet completed a Diplom Thesis the time you apply for Master’s studies.

Accreditation Certificate

“Accreditation certificate” is a notarized formal document proving that the educational institution where you’ve completed your so-far education is an accredited institution. It is obtained at the educational institution, upon your request.

An accredited educational institution in Germany or abroad is officially endorsed on their study quality. During an accreditation process the quality control of respective educational institution is carried by the competent public authorities or agencies, following a specific procedure.

Admission Letter

“Admission Letter” stands for a formal letter you receive by a German academic institution allotting you a place for a study course, following your successful application for admission.

A German admission letter usually tells if you’ve been fully or conditionally admitted, together with the deadline for registering your semester. If you’ve been offered a provisional place of study, the letter explains you which are further measures you need to follow, to get the complete admission in studies.

Anabin Database

“Anabin Database” is an authoritative German online database, covering country-specific facts and information on recognition of such countries’ national school-leaving certificates in Germany.

It also provides information about the equivalence of such foreign university entrance qualifications, with the German University Entrance Qualification. Anabin also informs you about the requirements and steps for making your foreign educational certificates, recognized for beginning higher education studies in here.


“German Residence Permit” it’s a German residence title taken at the German Foreigner’s Authority in the first 3 months of your arrival in Germany. All the visa and visa-exempt nationals about to study in Germany for longer than 3 months must get this residence title to legally stay and study here.


“Foreigner’s Registration Authority” it’s a German public body in charge of issues related to foreign residents in Germany, including issuance of German residence permits. Every German administrative district has its particular Foreigner’s Registration Authority.

Agentur für Arbeit
“Federal Employment Agency” is the main public administration authority for the job and training placements in Germany.

As a foreign student, you can require from the agency to support you in finding a job, matching your interests and qualification

Beglaubigung (Certified Copy)

Beglaubigung” stands for an original educational document, I.e. Transcript of Records (ToR) having been certified by a German authority or consular service abroad, to prove their originality.

Blended Learning

“Blended Learning” stands for a study course/module held in a combination of online and in-classroom lectures and seminars.

Block Seminar

Blockveranstaltung stands for an intensive study course offering all-together over several consecutive days teaching sessions.

Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz (BAföG)

“Federal Education and Training Assistance Act” it’s a German law that enables students (including some foreign students) placed amongst German educational institutions, to get a funding in case of failure to pay their living costs.

Certificates of Education

Certificates of Education” stands for all the educational certificates showing your study activity you’ve ever completed at a school or university.

Educational certificates usually take account of:

  • School-leaving certificates (diploma certificate and transcript of records).
  • Certificate for having passed the university entrance examinations.
  • Transcript of grades (for the ongoing studies).
  • University certificates.
  • Diploma certificate.
  • Transcript of grades.
  • Diploma supplement.
  • Further additional school/university educational certificates.

Certification of Internship/Work Experience/Vocational Training

“Certification of Your Previous Professional Activity” stands for the process of offering documents that proof your participation in an internship, a paid job, or a professional training.

Certified Translation of Documents

“Certified translation of documents” stands for the educational and further documents of a foreign language content, whose copies are translated, signed and stamped by a court-certified translator.

Confirmation of Registration

“Confirmation of registration” is used to name an educational certificate showing that you’ve registered to undertake an exam or, or participate in a study course at a higher education institution issuing it.

Curricular Analysis

“Curricular Analysis” it’s a document containing a review of the knowledge you’ve received during your previous studies. Such document may be a requirement to apply for a Master’s study, together with the aptitude assessment results.

Curriculum Vitae/Résumé

“CV” it’s a document where you in a chronological order include all your formal and informal education, together with work and other professional experience.

Dekan / Dekanat

“Dekan” it’s the dean (head) of a faculty of a higher education institution in Germany. Their office, it’s known as “Dekanat”, standing as the key administrative department of the respective faculty.


“German scholarship” it’s a bursary granted by Germany to the exceptionally talented students in German higher education institutions, in the amount of 300€/month.

Diploma Certificate

Diploma Certificate” is an educational certificate clearly specifying the time and the title/degree you’ve received by completing certain degree studies, such as Matura, Bachelor’s, Baccalauréat, Master’s or a further degree.

Diploma Supplement

Diploma Supplement it’s a detailed educational certificate that supplements a university certificate.

It consists of specifics about the type of your study course that led you to the particular university degree, admission requirement for such a course, aims and contents of them as well as its modules.


“Doktorarbeit” it’s a document where you present your theory for a particular study subject, based on a persistent research and it’s the key requirement to obtain a PhD degree in Germany.

After submitting the doctoral thesis, you’ve to undertake an oral examination on the subject of such thesis.


Double degree studies “Doppelstudium” stands for the study programmes where you can meantime attend studies in two different universities, one in Germany and in another abroad country. These studies lead to a double degree “Doppeldiplom”.

DoSV Dialogorientiertes Service-Verfahren

“Dialog-Oriented Procedure” It’s a service offered by a portal, for assists German higher education institutions in allocating their open undergraduate study places amongst their applicants.

Dozent/ Dozentin

In Germany, a lecturer in a higher education institution is called “Dozent” (male) and “Dozentin” (female).

DSD German Language Diploma

Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz” is a German language certificate attained by passing a DSD test once completing certain schooling years at a German school (in Germany or abroad).

There are two levels of DSD proficiency, DSD I and DSD II.

Commonly, DSD certificate serves as a proof of German language competence for admission of foreign students in German higher education institutions.

DSH Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang

DSH German Language Exam for University Entrance” is an assessment taken at a German higher education institution that attests your German language proficiencies as a candidate for admission.

The DSH test comprises of a written and oral test. There are three stages of proficiency that DSH test confirms: DSHI, DSHII and DSH III.

The DSH III is commonly required for taking up studies for a medical study course.

Duales Studium

“Dual studies” stands for the study programmes where you can combine standard academic studies with a practical work inside a business or company.

ECTS (European Credit Transfer System)

“ECTS” stands for a standardized system for tertiary study credits amongst European countries.

ECTS credit points ensure equivalence amid different countries of Europe, as regards of study quality for the same tertiary study degree, i.e. Bachelor degree. There are commonly required ECTS credits to complete a university degree study in almost all European countries.

ECTS points also known as Credit Points (CP), “Leistungspunkte” (LP) or “Kreditpunkte” (KP) measure the student’s performance, despite the classical grade of attainment in studies.


“Resident’s Registration Office” it’s the German public body covering issues related to registration of their resident’s living addresses.

As a foreigner, you’ve to register your permanent living address within 2 weeks of your arrival in Germany.

Every district in Germany has its own Resident’s Registration office.

Embossed Seal

“Embossed Seals” stands for a stamp usually put against a foil, providing a three-dimensional or upstretched effect commonly used by notaries to certify copies of educational documents, for their authenticity.


“Essay” it’s a document where your thoughts on a specific topic are presented, based on theories and evidences of different relevant academic/scientific sources. Essay sources must be properly cited, in compliance with the international citing standards.


“Ex-matriculation” is when you as a student are officially removed from the list of registered students.

If you don’t pay your fees for the upcoming semester, you will automatically be exmatriculated. Otherwise, if you decide abandoning studies before this, the certificate will be issued upon your request.


“German Certificate of Removal” is a German educational certificate showing that you’ve been unlisted from the educational provider’s register of enrolled students, a process called “Exmatrikulation”.

This certificate is required to be able to register in a new university.

Fachhochschule (FH)

“German Universities of Applied Sciences” are second most popular higher education institutions in Germany. They offer a practically-oriented study courses and research programs leading to a degree of a lower level than PhD.

FHs are entirely changing their name into “Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften” for a specific study field i.e. “Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft” (HTW).


“Student representation” stands for a group of students annually elected by the enrolled students in a German academic institution, representing their rights and concerns to the university board.


“Fakultativ” it’s a term used to describe an optional requirement or a not mandatory study course/other study measure.


“German Higher Education Qualification Exam” it’s a test that evaluates your competence, as a foreign university candidate student whose foreign qualification isn’t recognized, to enroll in tertiary studies in Germany.

The test commonly takes place after completing a 2-semester preparatory course “Studienkolleg” in Germany.

By passing this exam, you’ll be offered a subject-restricted university entrance qualification “Fachgebundene HZB” which gives you access to undergraduate studies (Bachelor, Staatsexamen or Diplom level) only for your subject area “Fachrichtung”.

You may sit the examination without having to participate in a Studienkolleg, known as “Externe Feststellungsprüfung”.

See also Will I Automatically Be Admitted at a German HEI If I Pass the University Qualification Exam?


“The Assessment Exam Certificate” It’s an educational certificate showing you’ve succeeded in passing the German University Entrance Qualification “Feststellungsprüfung”.

Combined with your foreign original school-leaving diploma, your Assessment Exam Certificate is weighed as a subject-HZB.

Focus Course

“Focus courses” are courses offered in a Studienkolleg, for the specific study area, depending participant’s so-far educational background and the study course they’re seeking to complete in Germany.

Focus courses offered in a Studienkolleg by a German university are:

  • G Course – Humanities.
  • S Course – Linguistics
  • W Course – Social and Economic Sciences.
  • T Course – Technical, Science and Math.
  • M Course – Medical and Biological.

Focus courses offered in a Studienkolleg by a German university of applied sciences are:

  • TI Course -Technical and Engineering.
  • WW Course – Economic Sciences
  • GD Course – Art.
  • SW Course – Social Sciences.


“Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering” it’s a standardized test aimed for Indians intending to take up an Engineering study course in an academic institution in Germany.

Graduates from an Indian institute of technology are exempt from taking the test.

See also Requirements to Study in Germany for Indian Students.

German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)

“DAAD” is an organization that has its main offices in Germany and branches all over the world. Its activity focuses on providing foreign nationals and institutions with the information and guidance on study, research and academic cooperation issues in/with Germany.

German Aptitude Test

“German Aptitude Test” is a mandatory exam applied by a number of German Higher Education Institutions to applicants seeking an admission in studies there. This assessment evaluates your suitability for the particular study course.

German Bachelor Degree

“German Bachelor Degree” is the most common academic degree in Germany obtained by successfully completing undergraduate studies in Germany. It is granted in a form of an Awarding Diploma, supplemented by a Transcript of Records (ToR) that you’ve attained during such studies.

See also Qualifications of the German Higher Education System.

German Diplom

German Diplom” is the German conventional higher education degree certificate taken by completing an undergraduate study program in engineering, natural sciences and economics here.

German Diplom is to be entirely replaced by a Bachelor and Master Degree by 2020.

German Introductory Courses

“Introductory courses” stands for the preparatory measures provided by few German academic institutions for foreign admitted students to better prepare them with specific knowledge in their subject area, right before beginning their studies.

An example of introductory courses is the Propaedeutic “Propädeutikum” courses.

German Special Study Programmes

“Special Study Programmes” stands for the German study programs offered for the refugees in German higher education institutions. This takes account of preparatory, language and introductory courses.

German Student Applicant Visa

“German Student Applicant Visa” it’s a visa that German consular services abroad provide for foreigners holding a confirmation of university application, but who yet haven’t received the admission letter.

German Undergraduate Studies

“Undergraduate Studies” stands for the complete study activity required to get the first German higher education degree: a Bachelor Degree, a Diplom or Staatsexamen.


“Graduate Management Admission Test” it’s an internationally accepted exam that evaluates your competence as a candidate for a Master’s degree study course in business administration field.

Grading System

“Grading System” stands for the general information about the minimum and maximum grades needed to obtain a specific study degree in Germany or elsewhere.

The information of this form it’s commonly available in your educational certificates. Some institutions publish such information on their official website. If any of this isn’t relevant to you, this information can be taken by the provider following your formal request.


“Graduate” stands for every individual having obtained a degree certificate and supplementing educational certificates for successfully completing a university degree study course, a preparatory course, a school, or other study course.


“Graduate Record Examination” it’s a standardized test that assesses your fitness as a candidate for a Master’s or PhD degree study course, in a wide range of study fields.


“Foundation studies” stands for studies you take up during your first 1 or 2-year of your degree studies in Germany, which set you the basis for further studies in your subject study area.


Habilitation it’s an additional qualification you’ve to obtain, despite a PhD degree, if you intend to become a university professor in Germany. To do so, you’ve to prepare a thesis “Habilitationsschrift” and pass an examination.


Hauptstudium stands for the advanced studies after having obtained a “Grundstudium”, to specialize in a specific study area.

Advanced studies are concluded by passing an examination leading to a German Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.

Higher Education Entrance Exam

“University entrance exam” is a test that some higher education institutions in Germany require from you to sit, to evaluate your competence for entering tertiary studies.

Passing this test is one of the requirements, despite having an accepted university entrance qualification (HZB).

Hilfswissenschaftler (HiWi)

A research assistant in Germany is called Hilfswissenschaftler”. You can become a research assistant in the same university where you’re meanwhile studying.

Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB)

“German Higher Education Entrance Qualification stands for collective educational certificates of your earlier education, which qualifies you to apply for admission into a German higher education institution.

See also HZB Types.


In Germany, auditoriums where lectures take place are called Hörsaal”.

HZB Certificate

“German University Entrance Qualification Certificate” it’s a certificate enabling you to apply for an academic study course in Germany.

As a foreigner, your HZB certificate contains details about your foreign educational certificates and their appraisal converted into the German grading system.


“International English Language Testing System” It’s an exam that measures your English language skills for participation in academic studies or training.

IELTS test results are largely acknowledged as a proof of your English language competence by the German higher education institutions. IELTS points are valid for no longer than 2 years.


In Germany, enrollment process in a higher education institution is called “Immatrikulation”. In this process the student registers their semester by paying a semester contribution fee and/or semester fee.

By enrolling in studies you receive a student ID, eligibility to participate in lectures and other study activities, as well as access to the study resources of the respective higher education institution.


“German Certificate of Enrollment” it’s an educational certificate showing a semester contribution and/or the semester fee paid by you in the enrollment period.

The German enrollment certificate gives you access in study activities to the chosen study course, as well as to the university resources and more, for the current semester.

See also Enrolling at a German University.

International Office of the University

“Akademisches Auslandsamt” stands for a department at a German higher education provider with an activity focused in supporting foreign applicants and students, through the information and guidance regarding academic studies and related administrative issues.

International Study Course

“International Study Courses” are named German academic study programs of international format commonly taught entirely or partially in English language.

Despite modules held in English language, international courses in Germany contain modules in German, French or further foreign languages.


Germans designate a written examination as a “Klausur”.


“Colloquium” in Germany stands for an interactive group discussion on a study session, for a specific lecture or series of lectures. At times, that includes a brief test or a lecture from an expert.


In Germany, a student designates their fellow student a “Kommilitone”.


“The Germany’s Local Government” It’s a public administrative body for a “Landkreis” (German administrative district).


“The Germany’s Administrative District” it’s a public authority that maintains several German municipalities.

Language Certificate

“Language Certificate” is the term to describe accepted certificates which attest that you’ve successfully passed an approved German/English/other language test.

Commonly accepted English language certificates amongst German higher education institutions are:

  • Certificate of having passed a DSH Test.
  • Certificate of TestDaF.
  • Certificate of Goethe-Institut.

Recognized as proof of English language proficiency are also:

  • Certificate showing scores of TOEFL.
  • IELTS Test Report Form.
  • Cambridge, TOEIC, UNIcert Certificate (In some higher education institutions).

See also Proof of language proficiency (German and/or English).


“Research chair” in Germany stands for a single or few teaching university professors, accompanied by their research assistants, tutors and secretaries.


In Germany, a lecture, seminar, tutorial or other course unit it’s labeled as “Lehrveranstaltung”.

Master’s Degree Studies

“Master’s Degree Studies” stands for the postgraduate studies, taking place following the end of undergraduate studies; usually last up to 1 year or 2 semesters, leading to a Master’s degree.

There’re two types of master’s studies available in Germany:

  • Follow-Up Master’s Course – for a study course related to previous studies, or in a new study course.
  • Master’s Courses as Extension Studies – for a study course related to your work experience.

Nomen Nominandum (N.N.)

“N.C” stands for a seminar or lecture for which the professor yet hasn’t been announced.

Numerus Clausus (N.C.)

“N.C.” stands for a limitation on the number of admitted students in medicine, pharmacy and dentistry study course.


Obligatorisch stands for a mandatory course or a compulsory study requirement.

Officially Certified Document

“Officially certified document” it’s an educational document that has an official stamp “Dienstsiegel” by a public authority or notary “Öffentliche Stelle” for the authenticity.


“Orientation Days” stands for welcoming days that academic institutions organize in the first weeks of an academic year, aimed at familiarizing new students with the services, departments, staff and procedures of such providers.


“German Local Mayor” is the key official representative for a district of a German municipality.


“Plagiat” stands for plagiarism when someone uses someone else’s thoughts/publications as their own, without quoting or citing the author. Plagiarism in Germany is considered a fraud.

Portfolio of Work

“Portfolio of Work” it’s a term used for a collective sample documents, to attest your own projects in a specific field for which you’re seeking to study in Germany, i.e. Architecture study course.

Portfolio of work includes but it’s not limited into samples, images, texts.

Preparatory German Language Course

“Preparatory German Language Courses” are courses where preparatory knowledge of German language before academic studies is offered, specific to your study course.

Following the end a preparatory course you will be assessed on your attainment, through a DSH exam.


“Promotion” in Germany stands for all the studies completed to obtain a German Doctoral degree title.


“Examination Office” it’s a university unit that runs issues related to the student exams, as well as issuance of educational certificates and transcripts of records. Another role of the office is guiding students regarding their examinations.

Recommendation Letter

“Recommendation Letter” it’s a paper where a previous professor/teacher gives their thoughts on your appropriateness to participate in the specific study course.


“Referat” stands for an oral presentation of a seminar with a group of students.

Regelstudienzeit (Course Semester)

Regelstudienzeit” stands for the complete semesters of studies you must complete to obtain a university degree, in a standard course. The standard period for completing studies leading to a Bachelor degree is 6 academic semesters, while it takes 2 semesters to be able getting a Master’s degree in Germany.


“Revision course” it’s a course preparing students before taking an examination in law, medicine and teaching subjects.


“Re-registration” stands for the process where you re-register for the upcoming semester. This usually includes paying the semester contribution fee and/or semester fee for the upcoming semester. If you don’t re-register, you will be unavoidably ex-matriculated.


“Schein” stands for a certificate of successful completion of a seminar, or other course unit.


“Semester” stands for academic studies you complete during a 6-month period in a year. An academic year consists of 2 semesters, summer and winter semester.


“Semester ticket” it’s a ticket that some academic institutions in Germany provide their students with, aimed for using a free public transportation in a specific area here.

Semesterwochenstunden (SWS)

“SWS” stands for the number of hours you’ve to dedicate for participating in a seminar or lecture within a week.


The German “State examination” it’s a test taken at the end of undergraduate studies for a medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmacology, law, food chemistry, or a teaching course. By passing the state examination you can get pursue a profession of a doctor, pharmacist, lawyer or teacher in Germany.

Stiftung für Hochschulzulassung

“Central Admissions Office” it’s a German authority that handles with applications for a study degree with a restricted access, such as medicine, dentistry and pharmacy.


“Student ID” it’s an ID showing you’re an enrolled student in a specific academic institution.

A Student ID entitles you to participate in the course units, use the institution’s study resources and get discounts when paying a cinema, theatre or museum entry ticket.


“Student Services Association” it’s a network of student service centers across Germany, dedicated in providing support on accommodation and other student life aspects to all students in Germany.


“Studienkolleg” it’s a 1-year or 2-semester preparatory course where foreign university applicants attain specific academic and language understanding in their subject area. Participants of the course are commonly foreign applicants whose earlier foreign education is not equivalent to German Higher Education Entrance Qualification.

Studienkollegs are taught at both universities and universities of applied sciences in Germany.

At the end of the course, as a participant you’ve to succeed in passing a “Feststellungsprüfung”.

A Feststellungsprüfung passed at a “Fachhochschule” entitles you to study only at a “Fachhochschule. While, a test passed at a “Universität” entitles you to study at both, university or university of applied sciences in Germany.

Amongst requirements for attending a Studienkolleg is passing an entrance exam to attest your German language proficiency on your subject area.

You can learn more about Studienkollegs in Germany here.

Studienordnung and Prüfungsordnung

Studienordnung stands for all the study regulations within an academic institution. While “Prüfungsordnung” stands for all the examination regulations.

Study Module

“Study module” is the term used to name lectures, seminars and related course units for up to 2 different study subjects.

Subject Restriction University Entrance Qualification

“Subject-restriction HZB” stands for a university entrance qualification entitling you to apply only for specific study courses in Germany.

Subject Studies

“Fachstudium” stands for the study subject of your study course during your Bachelor or Master studies in Germany.

Test für Ausländischer Studierende (TestAS)

“Test for Foreign Students” it’s a German examination that measures your competence to commence Tertiary Education studies at a German higher education.

TestAS it’s available in German and English language, as well as in Arabic for the refugees.

The TestAS consists of the: (1) core exam and (2) exam in your study area, between humanities, cultural studies and social sciences; math, computer and natural sciences, engineering, or economics.

Test für Deutsch Als Fremdsprache (TestDaF)

“Test for German as a Second Language” it’s a German examination, that attests your German language competences as a foreigner.

TestDaF consists of: (1) reading, (2) writing, (3) listening and (4) speaking exams.

TestDaF results are commonly accepted as a proof of German language skills for university admission in Germany. However, the requirements regarding the minimum scores differ depending on several factors.


“Test of English as a Foreign Language” it’s an internationally recognized language test that attests your English language competence.

TOEFL has three options: (1) iBT (Internet Based Test), pBT (Paper Based Test), and ITP (Institutional Testing Program). The results of this test are valid for no longer than 2 consecutive years.

TOEFL consists of (1) writing, (2) reading, (3) listening, and (4) speaking exams.

TOEFL results are often acknowledged as a proof of English language for university admission in Germany. There are different requirements regarding the minimum scores for university application here.


“Tutorial” stands for meeting with a tutor who teaches you a series of seminars or lectures.


“Uni-Assist” it’s a popular German online service embraced by only some universities, through which students can apply for admission in academic studies.

Uni-assist manages the compliance of you as an applicant, with the requirements for university admission, while the respective academic institution is in-charge of giving you the final decision.

University Admission

“University Admission” is to name the decision of a particular university on your application for admission to a specific study course. Depending on your situation, this can be a positive, conditioned decision or a negation. It’s normally provided as a formal university letter, issued by the university admission office.

University Admission Criteria

“Criteria for the university admission” names a list of requirements for admission into a university study course.

University Admission Office

“The office for university admission” is a separate department in a university, in charge of receiving university applications, their evaluation, taking a decision about them, and informing applicants about their admissibility. The office, meanwhile, maintains the enrollment process of the successful candidates.

University Application Deadline

“University Application Deadline” stands for the most recent day you’re eligible submitting your application for university admission.

University Application Extension Period

“Extension Period” stands for the tolerable period of time, outside the original application deadline, for submitting additional documents for university admission.

University Application Motivation Letter

“Motivation Letter” it’s a personal letter where you tell your motive for choosing the study course where you’re seeking for admission.

In the letter you must relate how your expected studies will benefit your future career and life.

See also How to write a motivational letter for university admission in Germany.


In Germany a lecture is called Vorlesung”.


“Course Prospectus” it’s a document with detailed information on all your study courses and their content, and timetable of such activities.


“Lecture period” stands for the period within one semester during which lectures and seminars are held. The gap between such periods is known as a “Semester Break”.

For the German winter semester standard lecture period is from Mid-October up to Mid-February.

For the German summer semester standard lecture period is from Mid-April up to Mid-July.

Zentralstelle Für Ausländisches Bildungswesen (ZAB)

“Central Office for Foreign Education” it’s the main evaluating authority of the foreign certificates for the purpose of continuing further education in Germany.

This office covers the information for more than 180 foreign countries.


“Certificate Recognition Office” it’s an office that runs issues for recognition of foreign university entrance qualifications, when the university cannot take a decision about such a matter.

Office’s scope of work extends into evaluating qualifications of foreigners applying for Studienkolleg and for the “Feststellungsprüfung”.


“Zugangsvoraussetzungen” stands for a study course requirements for admission.


“Zulassungsbescheid” stands for a university offer letter. In this formal letter, the academic institution offers you a place in a study course, and after this you can register a semester and start your study activity.


“Zweitstudium” stands for the second degree studies, usually Master’s studies. You cannot begin Master’s studies without first completing undergraduate studies, i.e. Bachelor’s degree studies.


“Zwischenprüfung” stands for the final examination you need to undertake after having completed first few years of studies “Grundstudium”. Through this test your competence acquired during such studies and ability to continue with further studying is assessed.